Do you know if your child’s brain is “hard-wired” for reading? You should.
Why? Because 50% of kids have brains that are “hard-wired” for reading and writing. These lucky ducks will learn to read and write–with ease! And it doesn’t matter who teaches them or how they are taught! Literacy will come easily, and with that, the potential for a lifetime of happiness.
But what about the other 50%? Not so lucky. They will show signs of struggle as young readers. Some signs will be obvious. And some will be very subtle. But these kids will be affected, and their reading struggles turn into a lifetime of challenge, embarrassment and missed opportunity. Less achievement, less success, less happiness.
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
But everything changes when these kids get the right kind of instruction, the kind that enables them to rewire their own brains:
WHAT’S THE FIRST STEP? Finding out whether a child is showing the signs of a struggling reader.
Perhaps you already know your child is struggling as a reader because:
- reading problems (like dyslexia) run in the family
- the school is expressing concerns about your child’s reading and/or writing
- the words “meeting benchmarks” keep coming up during parent conferences and on report cards
Maybe you just have a “gut” feeling that something isn’t right because your child:
- repeats words and phrases as he/she reads
- adds in words that aren’t on the page
- confuses words (especially little ones like “a” and “the” or “for” and “from”)
- randomly guesses at new words
- has trouble reading longer words
- spells words incorrectly
- has trouble understanding the story
- says reading is boring
- avoids reading
Or perhaps your little one is simply not as happy as she used to be.
Some of these things are normal for young readers. But some are signs of a reading difficulty, and it varies by grade level. (Need specifics for your child’s grade? Check here.)
If you have that feeling that something is not right, get the answers you need to help your child.
The Reading CheckUP© will give you the insights into your child’s reading development and an individualized action plan. And it’s as easy as 1…2…3!
- Your child and I will meet, either in person or via Skype. During our meeting, I will assess your child’s:
- Word recognition skills
- Grade level comprehension
- After the meeting, I will analyze the assessments and prepare a report for you. It will include my findings and an individualized action plan for your child’s reading success.
- You and I will meet (live or via Skype) to discuss the report.
AND I AM ALWAYS JUST A PHONE CALL AWAY TO ANSWER QUESTIONS AS THEY ARISE! (After 20+ years of working with struggling readers, I know how important it is for parents to have support as they support their children!)
Get more information about the Reading CheckUP ©…the first step to changing your child’s life!
To find out more about me, please visit my About page.
Do you simply need a dose of READING FUN with your child? The Mid-week Reading Challenge is 5 minutes of perfection–and it’s free!
Follow me @NurturingLit on Instagram.
Reading CheckUP ©2016 NurturingLiteracy
Is it right for you and your child?
Get the details.Then change your child's life.